December 4, 2014

Things to Make and Share


DSC_0120

This year, we are planning to focus more on spending time with the people we love and care about rather then spending money on things to give them. But, for me, it hardly feels like Christmas if I don't have things to make and share. I've compromised on a scaled back, short list of things I will share with people that I see, rather than sending lots of packages. For me, making things is a huge part of the joy that goes along with the music, twinkley lights, and sharing good cheer.

I avoid most of the busy and stressful parts of the holidays but I often think that making some things yourself could be a good antidote to all of that. Of course if adding one more to-do will make you feel like the Grinch, then you should make yourself a cup of cocoa and take some time to relax. But, if you're like me, a small project and some good podcasts (or Christmas music, if you prefer) is the perfect way to feel the truly joyful and generous spirit of this time of year. Here of some my favorites from the archives and elsewhere.

Edible Gifts:
Hot Cocoa Mix
Chai Concentrate
Chocolate Peppermint BonBons 
Lemon Curd
Homemade Mustard

Favorite Amazing Body Products You Can Make (and people will love!):
Thanks to Ashley English/Small Measure for these recipes which I make and use all the time.
Homemade Lip Balm
Homemade Body Scrub
Homemade Body Butter

Gifts You Can Sew:
Potholder Tutorial (this would go perfectly with some edible gifts or ingredients)
Reusable Fabric Bag (excellent for wrapping)
Relaxing Eye Pillow (goes well with some homemade body products)

I just put up my festive garland which I am always tempted to leave up year round, but I like the surprise of seeing it each December.

Happy making and making merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment