January 24, 2013

Stillness

peppermint tea


Although I know I should get outside everyday, I am pretty sure that if there were ever a few days to hibernate these would be the ones. We've had a few days this week when the temperature didn't rise above zero and I'm not sure if we've reached double digits since last week. Though I wish for a wood stove to hibernate next to, I am immensely grateful for the heat that seeps steadily from the big old radiators in our apartment. I huddle as close as I can to the hot pipes that we fuel with rent money instead of an axe and our sweat.

These are the days I think of in August. When, in the summer, the days are long and full with produce to can and freeze and the sense that there is always more to do and experience before the summer fades. Not that I would complain about a summer day, but just that I want to appreciate these cold days for their stillness, their lack of urgency. And, in turn, as I peer at the top shelf of the cupboard to choose a jar of jam, I appreciate the work of the summer and the luxury of three or four jams to choose from and no need to leave the house.

winter window

stay warm

I've also been keeping warm with a bit of knitting, a great lentil soup, ever satisfying no knead bread, peppermint tea and a few laughs. Have you been hibernating?

3 comments:

  1. It's pretty cold here in CT, too, but at least it's in the double digits. I wish we had a woodstove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - I hope you are staying cozy. I hope to have a woodstove someday, but for now it's radiators for warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like a wood insert for the fireplace! Love your mug in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete