December 2, 2009

Creating

DSC_0346
I have been sewing up a storm around here.  Since September I have been working on variety of sewing projects to bring to a holiday sale which is taking place this coming weekend.  My normally neat work space has become littered with fabric and scrids and scraps.  I much prefer to keep things organized, but there is a point when the work takes over and a messy storm ensues.
DSC_0345
I have always enjoyed making things, its really always been a part of my life since before my mom, sister and I had "craft club" and when I would make things from clay, styrofoam and alabaster in my dad's studio.  I was an art major in college and spent a lot of time hand sewing abstract and figurative forms.  There is something about binding fabric together that I find amazingly satisfying.  Not just the binding of fabric, but the whole act of creating:  the connection between the hands and the mind, the physical and mental and the way that they work together and push each other endlessly to make new things.

My latest projects (which you will soon see here) are colorful, useful and contain a bit of my love of food and growing things, too.   This week I've been finishing up the last few projects, making tags, and figuring out my display.  I've so enjoyed pushing myself to do this sewing daily and weekly and I hope to continue along these lines after the sale is over.  I have so many more ideas I want to try.  Of course, after this weekend I will be temporarily focused on making and finishing projects for Christmas.  If you don't make it to the actual sale, I will share some of my projects here, soon.
DSC_0343
What projects have you been working on lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment