January 12, 2011

Announcing a New Series of Interviews with Creative Women

Cutting for Valentine Pouches

Last fall, as I dove deeper and deeper in the making things and sewing for Seedling Design, I learned a lot about what it was like to work at home for myself and be creating full time. For all of the successes and triumphs, there were (and still are) just as many mistakes and failures. I have found that when working alone is it easy to imagine that I am the only one who struggles to focus and create a routine. I'll pretend that I hear you chiming in and pointing out that you sometimes have the same problems. I know I am not alone in this and I know that there are plenty of resources and ideas out there for how to improve and forgive yourself as you work (a few that I've seen recently here, here, and here).

As I worked away at my sewing, writing, and photography, I wondered what it was like for others working in their creative spaces. Although it is easy to be connected to so many creative people through the internet, a lot of what we see is the finished product. We rarely witness the mistakes and messy details that are so much a part of the creative process. It's not that I want you to see me wrestling with my sewing machine when it isn't working properly, angrily ripping out a seam that I botched, or tossing out a loaf of bread that is more like a rock. But creativity is a process that is as challenging as it is rewarding.

I wanted to know that I wasn't alone in in the meanderings of creativity. I wondered what it was like in other people's creative spaces. So, I decided to go straight to the source. Starting this week and continuing for several weeks, I'll be posting an interview with a creative woman every Friday. I am very honored and excited that so many writers, crafters, cooks, and bloggers were willing to share their thoughts with me and with all of you. I hope you will find as much inspiration as I have from their answers to my questions. I also hope that each interview will be an opportunity for a dialogue and conversation (in the comments section) where we can share our own thoughts and experiences on creating.

3 comments:

  1. A fantastic idea. Sometimes it just takes the knowledge that you're not alone to fire up your engine and lord knows Ive been there. Can't wait to see what the ladies have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Cant wait to hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading these!

    ReplyDelete