October 18, 2010

Ordinary, But Just Right

DSC_0024

Ginger cookies are perfect for fall. Simple, unassuming, flavorful but not decadent or over the top. They are ready to hop in a lunch box and go to school, to sit beside a bowl of freshly made applesauce for dessert, or to be nibbled as an anytime snack. When done right they are the perfect treat for any season, but this especially is the time of year is for a chewy spicy bite.

I like my ginger cookies quite gingery and, while I enjoy ginger snaps and thin ginger cookies, I especially love chewy ginger molasses cookies. When I see one at a bakery, I just might choose it over chocolate chip. I have tried making them at home several times, but its only been recently that I have finally gotten the recipe right. They take very little time to make and I love the spiciness that fresh ginger gives to these cookies.

DSC_0011

My stand mixer used to live on my kitchen counter, but since we moved it has a place on our pantry shelf. When I brought it out I realized that I missed it a little so I took this picture, clutter and all. Sometimes I really enjoy photos that are not perfectly stylized (which I can't really do anyway) that just capture a part of a room or a day. Kind of like a ginger cookie: ordinary but just right.

Ginger Molasses Cookies
If you don't like the spiciness of fresh ginger, you can use a smaller amount or substitute powdered ginger. I wrote this recipe with measurements mostly by weight. I realize that my measurements on this blog are not consistent because some are by volume and some are by weight.  Measuring by weight is an easy and accurate way to bake, all you need is a basic scale. I have added the measurements by volume, too.


20 ounces (4 cups) flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
8 ounces (1 cup/two sticks) unsalted butter
7 ounces (1 cup) sugar
2 ounces (1/4 cup)  molasses
2 eggs
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger


Preheat oven to 350'. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Cream butter and sugar until soft and fully mixed together. Add molasses and eggs and beat until smooth. Add fresh ginger and dry ingredients and mix until completely incorporated. The dough might be a bit crumbly. Scoop dough into golf ball sized balls and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes. Yeilds about 24 three inch cookies.

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I haven't had ginger cookies in ages. I'm looking forward to your recipe. And I agree--it's great to see less stylized images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoy! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, the cookies look wonderfully soft and peppery-gingery. I like your countertop photo, and particularly because it isn't of a perfectly clean, perfectly composed picture. I like seeing the life lived behind it! And if you hadn't I may never have seen your awesome coffee grinder and be able to tell you how lucky I think you are for having it. :-)

    And nothing beats those Kitchen-Aid stand mixers. The best, hands-down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to make these and was wondering if you've gotten around to figuring out the volume measurements?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Margaret, wondering if you're still going to post volume measurements. I gave my sister a kitchen scale for her birthday, but I still don't have one of my own. I recently bought muscovado sugar for the first time, and I think this would be a great recipe for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it took me so long to get to this, the measurements by volume have been added.

    ReplyDelete