September 21, 2010

Canning 2010

Canning 2010 

My shelves are stocked for the winter, I hope. I am not sure what other projects I will decide to do, but I think I am mostly done canning for the season. I realize this is not perfect place to store my jars, but this is where I had space. By the way, the shelves were bowed like that when we moved in, they seem quite sturdy, though.

I made: 8 quarts of tomatoes (whole and crushed), 9 quarts of apple sauce, 4 pints of pears, 8 half pints of spiced peaches, 4 half pints and 1 pint of tomato jam, 6 pints and 1 quart of dill pickles, 13 pints of salsa and 4 half pints of mustard. I'm glad I'm writing this here so that next year I will remember how much I made. Hopefully I will remember to make note of how long it lasts, too.

7 comments:

  1. Those stocked shelves are better than money in the bank in my opinion. Though, I might be a bit biased - I'm typing this as 12 pints of tomatoes take a run through the canner ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's clear you're from New England. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My shelves have bowed in the past, too. Do this: take them out, make sure all the supporting pieces are there (they might be missing some in the middle, as mine were), and put them back in upside down. They'll straighten out in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on all that canning! It's such fun to have fully stocked shelves, ready for the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn A - Thanks for the tip! Everyone - Hope all of your canning projects have gone well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some beautiful jars of food!

    To El: Why is it clear that she's from New England? Folks all over the USA preserve food. :o)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job of canning, Anna - don't you feel accomplished? And, you will even more so as the winter months creep in. Just a thought, from an older "canner" - the first year I decided to can I put together a flexible menu - however, I recognized I would 'need' approximately 57 qts or crushed tomatoes - or tomato sauce - to make it through the winter and have a little extra. Spaghetti sauce, soups, casseroles, pizza sauces, meatloafs, etc etc. Had 7 qts left at the end of spring - made it thru winter. Did the same with corn, green beans, chow chow, etc. Froze fruits, toliet paper and paper towels, (just seeing if you are reading but it does fill the freezer space to say on wasted space as you start putting out your harvest of frozen goodies and saves on utilities). I'm so impressed with what you have done and wish you continuing success next season. You will live well and prosper. :-)

    ReplyDelete