May 25, 2010

Scarlet Macaws
Hello? Sorry I've been out of touch, I hope you are still out there, lovely readers!  Its been a couple of months since I was last here.  My time away was filled with new places, new faces and a lot of learning experiences.  Costa Rica was amazingly beautiful, hot and humid, and filled with new sounds and sights.  You can read more about the adventures Ray and I had here.

We spent our the first month of our trip at Rancho Mastatal where we were temporarily part of a hard working community that was lots of fun.  We helped work on projects, such as: building with wattle and daub, framing simple walls, building compost piles, making a wooden counter for a sink, baking bread, fermenting foods, cooking meals, transplanting into swales, digging ditches, making glasses out of soda bottles, and picking mangoes from tall trees.  I learned new skills which I can't wait to use and improve and was really inspired by all of the projects that they incorporate into their efforts to live sustainably.
Garden in front of main house
 We are back in Maine for a couple of months until our move to the mid-west.  I am excited to share some of the things that I have learned with you, but I admit that I might not be reporting here as much as I would like to until later in the summer.  There are a few things I would like to do soon, though, like making ginger beer, and I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home! Glad you had a good time. It sounds like you did some really meaningful work. I can't get over those wild parrots!

    ReplyDelete