July 15, 2014

Throw it all in


I'd like to excuse my recent laziness in the kitchen by saying that good summer produce hardly needs embellishment. But been taking the easiest route for most of our meals in the past several months. I make a lot of vegetable, grain and bean salads which are perfect when filled with fresh summer vegetables and herbs. Recently I've been making a pesto which is equally lazy, just throwing some basil, some spinach, and whatever else I have on hand into the food processor. I use a garlic clove or two, maybe some nuts or cheese, and plenty of olive oil. The last batch I made included some soft goat cheese with gave the sauce a creamy tang. The variations are endless and as long as you have good ingredients and flavors you enjoy, I say, throw it all in.

I've been tossing this sauce with potatoes and other blanched vegetables but I know it will be a great addition to anything with tomatoes once they are ripe and abundant. It is an easy way to add color, flavor, and some extra greens, protein, and healthy fats to whatever summer brings into your bowl.

Free Form Pesto
You don't need a recipe, but here are some suggestions. And when I say throw it all in, you will want to consider flavors a bit. Not all herbs/nuts/cheeses/oils go together but many do.

1-2 cups herbs and or greens such as basil, spinach, cilantro, mint, kale, arugula (I like to use one herb and one green for a batch of sauce)
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup nuts or seeds such as sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, etc
1/4 cup cheese such as parmesan or chevre or you could use a bit of yogurt or sour cream for a creamy sauce
1/4-1/2 cup oil (depending on how thin you want the sauce to be) such as olive, avocado, grapeseed 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Place all ingredients in a food processor and whir until the sauce reaches the consistency you desire.

Makes about a cup of pesto.



No comments:

Post a Comment