September 21, 2012

The Delights of Every Day

kitchen table

We've reached the time of the Autumnal Equinox. Daylight and night are equal. As each day dawns it will bring slightly less daylight than darkness. Despite knowing that the days will keep getting shorter, I love these marks on the calendar that are decided by the way the earth travels around the sun and not by historical events or gift buying opportunities. I don't have rituals or traditions for these days but I like to take note of them and watch the sky, the color of the leaves, the stars.

It may be the drawing inward of Autumn or my busy schedule but I am doing my best to appreciate the delights of every day. Recently, I was talking to a friend who is preparing for life changes which include needing to save more money and spend a lot less. She told me that while she adjusts to these changes she keeps reminding herself that "we're poor." Although I didn't respond to this directly, her outlook reminded me of how much finding joy in the small things enriches my life. Whether or not it is inspired by not having a lot of spending money, celebrating the little things helps me feel like I am indulging in the best that life has to offer no matter how much (or little) it costs.

Sometimes it's just a having a few hours of free time or it might be treating myself to a new type of tea for my morning cup. The pantry shelf laden with full jars, a well stocked kitchen and the ability to create all kinds of meals there seems like a luxury, even when it takes work to make it happen. A clean favorite shirt to wear, sitting down to lunch at the sunny kitchen table, planning meals ahead of time all feel like tiny ways that I can support and care for myself.

In a way, it is the small things that feel more special because they are part of every day and noticing them awakens my mind to even more good things here and now. I enjoyed reading about Tea's feeling of wealth in the form of peaches and this post about the little things at home. I'd love to hear about the small (or not so small) things that are bringing you joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment