January 6, 2012

This Week in the Studio

beets

I've been hoping that this month I will be able to take some time to play with new ideas and processes. This week I have been doing a bit of fabric collaging. Really it is just more applique and sewing, but these informal sketches feel like drawing, sewing and collage all in one.

2grapefruits

I've been inspired by the beautiful, sweet and juicy citrus that I've been eating in the past few weeks. When I am not making something useful,

2clementines

I love and struggle with the flow of creativity that sends me in many directions. I feel like I need to focus on making certain things and not go too far in different directions but I am inspired to make more of these sketches. I'd like to make some that are more finished, too. But there is a tension, a back and forth struggle, between making for the sake of making and feeling the need and desire to earn income from my creative endeavors.

I don't think that all creative interests should be turned into jobs or businesses but here I am with an online shop and a wish to share what I make in some way. I put a lot of time and passion into my work for Seedling Design and would like it to be more than a time consuming hobby. I hope that this year will give me a chance to really see what I can do with this. This blog is a good place for me to explore and try to articulate and improve my creative processes. Sometimes it seems disjointed and messy when I wish it could be perfect and polished, but thanks for coming along for the ride!

1 comment: