June 1, 2011

Getting Ready for Summer

DSC_0191

Happy June! We had a day of real summer warmth earlier this week, followed by a seriously windy day. It was a relentless wind that blew across the fields and whipped up anything that was light enough to catch. I was planting corn at the farm (where I spend 3 of my working days each week) and the intense wind did not make crawling along the rows any more enjoyable. Dreaming of ears of delicious sweet corn which will be appearing later this summer did help, slightly.

I feel like I haven't had as much time as I would like, lately, to work on recipes and projects to post here. I'm still trying to find a balance between my two jobs and the work I want to do for Seedling Design, for this space and for myself. Now that we are on the edge of summer I am also thinking about picnics, grilling, eating lots of good fresh food, riding my bike more and enjoying warm days outside.

I realized that many of the things I make are ideal for summer: placemats for picnics, bags to take to outdoor markets, and aprons which are great year round, but of course I am looking forward to baking summer pies, grilling veggies and lots of canning. Even so, I'll probably be doing less sewing in the next few months. Instead, I'll be spending a few Saturdays outside at fairs and farmer's markets with all of these summery wares for sale and taking time to work on some other projects.

What are your summer plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment