October 27, 2009

Cranberry Salsa

Living in America's Foodiest Small Town it should be expected that I am surrounded by good food.  Since I don't have lots of money to spend eating out, most of this comes from what I make in my kitchen.  However, it is truly fabulous to be able to get so many good ingredients that have been made or grown locally.  Aside from the economic and environmental reasons for rejoicing in the local, there is a certain indescribable deliciousness that I taste in local foods.  Maybe it is intertwined with my hopes to make and grow as much of my own food as I can, or maybe it really does taste better when you buy your food from someone you know.

I've been so excited to see new offerings from the farmers -- things that weren't sold at the market just few years ago.  Peaches, plums, pears, sweet potatoes, cranberries!  I first noticed the cranberries last fall, bushel boxes full of the little ruby jewels, shining in the pale autumn sun.  They are back this fall, piled and ready to bounce and rattle home in my bag.  There are so many recipes that can incorporate cranberries with their intense tartness and bright red color.  A few years ago I stumbled across cranberry salsa at a party and was instantly delighted by this different take on a great classic.  I love that this highlights cranberries, as opposed to giving them a supporting role.  I put together this recipe for a pot luck to serve with tortilla chips but it could also go on the table for a twist on the typical thanksgiving sauce and its really good with these quesadillas!

Cranberry Salsa

Cranberry Salsa
2 cups of whole cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
juice of one lime 
1/2 cup chopped cilantro 
1 cup of chopped apple 
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until everything is uniformly finely chopped.  If you are using frozen cranberries, you will want to let the salsa thaw for a little bit before serving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment